Very few good things happen by accident in this world. You do not accidently get an education or accidently find yourself living in a nice clean home. As a church we cannot just accidently do ministry. God has blessed us with a great church family that was assembled through years of hard work by its members. We have great ministries and are making an impact in the world around us. We are a mostly older congregation with a vibrant senior adult department. A vast majority of our giving comes from these faithful followers of Jesus. But as we look at the health of our church projected over the next ten years; we see that this becomes a problem. We must work intentionally to reach young adults as we move forward.
Reaching young adults and young families must be done intentionally. Families will not accidently walk into a church and find a welcoming environment that they trust with their children. As we come out of this time of COVID and restart our children ministries we want to provide an atmosphere that young families want to be a part of. I have been working with Sydney, our Children’s Minister, on what we can do to be more intentional in our children’s ministry. Part of this is helping our parents know the importance placed on their children. Here is our pledge to parents:
- We will love your kids.
- We will care for the spiritual, physical, and emotional needs of your child.
- We will work to understand the individual needs of your child.
- We will teach your kids.
- We will provide fun, age appropriate, Biblically based teaching for all children in our care.
- We will protect your kids.
- We will provide security in our children’s area by allowing access to only parents and approved children ministry volunteers.
- We will interview, do background checks, and require sexual abuse awareness training on all children ministry volunteers.